India’s campaign in the FIH Women’s Junior World Cup came to an end on Saturday as they lost 2-3 to Belgium in their final Pool C match. Annu scored a brace for India but it was not enough as Belgium secured a place in the quarterfinals.
India started the match brightly and won an early penalty corner but they couldn’t convert it. Belgium, on the other hand, were more clinical and they took the lead in the fifth minute through Noa Schreurs. Belgium doubled their lead in the 42nd minute through France de Mot.
India fought back in the final quarter and they were rewarded with two goals from Annu in the space of four minutes. However, Belgium had the last word as they scored the winner from a penalty stroke in the 52nd minute through Astrid Bonami.
This was India’s second consecutive defeat in the tournament after they lost 3-4 to Germany on Thursday night. India finished third in Pool C and will now play in the 5-8th place classification matches.
Annu was India’s best player on the day and she scored two brilliant goals. Her first goal came from a penalty corner in the 47th minute and her second goal came from a penalty stroke in the 51st minute.
Belgium were the better team on the day and they deserved to win. They were more clinical in front of goal and they defended well.
India will be disappointed to have crashed out of the tournament in the group stage. They had a good chance of reaching the quarterfinals but they let themselves down with two poor performances.
- India started the match brightly and won an early penalty corner, but they were unable to convert it.
- Belgium took the lead in the fifth minute through Noa Schreurs.
- India doubled their lead in the 42nd minute through France de Mot.
- India found a breakthrough in the 47th minute when Annu converted a penalty corner.
- She then leveled the score four minutes later with a penalty stroke.
- Belgium won the match in the 52nd minute when Astrid Bonami scored from another penalty stroke.
India will now play in the 5-8th place classification matches. They will face the fourth-placed team from Pool D in their first match.
DISCLAIMER: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.