LONDON, England – In a landmark agreement, the Premier League has secured a groundbreaking $8.45 billion domestic television rights deal for the 2025-2028 seasons. This represents a significant increase from the current £5 billion deal, highlighting the enduring appeal of the world’s most popular football league.
The new deal, which spans four years, has been awarded to Sky Sports, BT Sport, and Amazon Prime Video. Sky Sports will retain its position as the primary broadcaster, showing up to 200 matches per season, while BT Sport will air at least 52 matches annually. Amazon Prime Video will continue to stream matches, expanding its coverage to include exclusive rights to Tuesday kick-offs.
This substantial increase in television revenue is a testament to the Premier League’s global popularity and commercial strength. The league’s high-quality matches, star players, and passionate fan base attract a massive audience worldwide, making it a highly sought-after property for broadcasters.
Premier League CEO Richard Masters emphasized the significance of the new deal, stating, “This agreement is a landmark moment for the Premier League and our clubs. It demonstrates the incredible popularity and value of our competition, and it will enable us to continue to invest in making the Premier League the best football league in the world.”
- The Premier League has announced a record $8.45 billion (£6.7 billion) domestic TV rights deal for the four seasons starting from 2025/26.
- The deal is the largest sports media rights deal ever concluded in the UK.
- Sky Sports will broadcast 218 matches per season, while BT Sport will show 48 matches.
- The BBC will continue to show highlights of Premier League matches on Match of the Day.
- The new deal is a significant increase on the current deal, which is worth around £5 billion over a three-year cycle.
- The increase is due to the fact that the Premier League is now the most popular sports league in the world.
- The new deal is also a boost for the UK economy, as it is expected to generate billions of pounds in revenue for the Premier League and its clubs.
The Premier League’s domestic television rights deals are a crucial source of revenue for the league’s clubs, providing them with the financial resources to invest in player recruitment, infrastructure development, and youth academies. This new deal will further enhance the financial stability of the clubs and contribute to the overall growth and success of the Premier League.
As the Premier League continues to expand its global reach and attract new fans, the value of its domestic television rights is expected to remain strong. This new record-breaking deal marks a significant milestone in the Premier League’s journey and further solidifies its position as the world’s premier football league.
DISCLAIMER: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.