Cricket Australia has announced a 13-man squad for the upcoming Boxing Day Test against Pakistan, which will take place at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) on December 26. The Aussies are looking to build on their dominant 360-run victory in the first Test in Perth and take a firm hold of the three-match series.
Here is Australia Squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Steve Smith, Mitch Starc, David Warner.
Changes from Perth Test
The only change to the squad from the Perth Test is the omission of uncapped fast bowler Lance Morris. Morris has been released to return to domestic duties with the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League. His absence is unlikely to affect the bowling attack, with the experienced trio of Starc, Hazlewood, and Cummins expected to spearhead the charge once again.
High Expectations for Boxing Day Test
The Boxing Day Test is one of the most eagerly awaited events on the Australian sporting calendar. The MCG is expected to be packed to the rafters, and the atmosphere is sure to be electric. The Aussies will be looking to put on a show for their home crowd and take an unassailable 2-0 lead in the series.
Key Players to Watch
- David Warner: The veteran opener will be keen to build on his match-winning century in Perth and silence his doubters.
- Marnus Labuschagne: The world’s number-one ranked Test batsman will be looking to continue his prolific form with the bat.
- Nathan Lyon: The off-spinner is just 10 wickets away from becoming the 19th bowler to reach 500 Test wickets, and he will be determined to achieve the milestone on home soil.
- Pat Cummins: The Australian captain will lead from the front with both bat and ball.
With a strong squad, home advantage, and momentum from the Perth win, Australia are firm favorites to win the Boxing Day Test. However, Pakistan cannot be underestimated, and they will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing performance in the first Test. The match promises to be a thrilling encounter, and it is one that no cricket fan will want to miss.
- The Boxing Day Test is the second match of the three-match series between Australia and Pakistan.
- The third and final Test will be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) from January 3-7.
- Australia are the current holders of the ICC World Test Championship title.
I hope this article provides a comprehensive overview of Cricket Australia’s squad announcement for the Boxing Day Test against Pakistan. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
DISCLAIMER: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.