AUS vs WI: Steve Smith has been named captain of the Australian ODI team for the upcoming series against the West Indies, starting on February 2nd. The seasoned batsman takes over from Pat Cummins, who is being rested after leading the side to World Cup glory in November.
Smith, who has captained Australia in both Tests and ODIs in the past, will be looking to lead the team to another successful series. He is a highly respected figure in the Australian cricket team and his experience will be invaluable in the absence of Cummins.
“I’m honored to be asked to captain the ODI team again,” Smith said. “It’s a big responsibility, but I’m confident that we can have a successful series against the West Indies. We have a great squad of players and I’m looking forward to working with them.”
In addition to Smith’s appointment as captain, there is another notable change to the Australian ODI squad. Fast bowler Lance Morris has been called up for the first time. The 24-year-old has impressed in the domestic circuit and will be hoping to make his mark on the international stage.
“Lance is a very exciting young bowler,” said Australian selector George Bailey. “He has a lot of pace and swing, and we think he has the potential to be a real star in the future. We’re looking forward to seeing him bowl in international cricket.”
AUS vs WI: The full Australian ODI squad for the series against the West Indies is as follows:
- Steven Smith (c)
- Sean Abbott
- Nathan Ellis
- Cameron Green
- Aaron Hardie
- Travis Head
- Josh Inglis
- Marnus Labuschagne
- Glenn Maxwell
- Lance Morris
- Jhye Richardson
- Matt Short
- Adam Zampa
Where to watch AUS vs WI
- Fox Sports: The official broadcaster of Australian cricket, offering coverage on various channels like Fox Sports 501, 505, and 506.
- Kayo Sports: Australia’s popular streaming platform, providing live and on-demand access to all matches.
- ESPN Caribbean: The leading sports network in the West Indies, airing the series across multiple channels like ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Play.
- Flow Sports: Another major sports broadcaster in the region, offering coverage on channels like Flow 1 HD and Flow Sports Extra.
- Sony Six: The official broadcaster of Cricket Australia matches in India, offering live telecast on the Sony Six channel and its HD feed.
- Sony LIV: Sony’s streaming platform, providing live and on-demand access to all matches on your smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs.
- Hotstar: Another popular streaming platform in India, offering live and on-demand access to the series (subject to subscription).
- JioTV: A mobile app and set-top box service providing live telecast of various sports channels, including Sony Six.
The series against the West Indies is a great opportunity for Australia to experiment with their ODI team before the next World Cup, which is scheduled to take place in India in 2027. With Smith at the helm and a number of exciting young players in the squad, Australia will be hoping to put on a good show against the West Indies.
DISCLAIMER: This team is based on the understanding, analysis, and instinct of the author. While selecting your team, consider the points mentioned and make your own decision.