Mirabai Chanu: Height, Weight, Age, Husband, Family, Biography & other info
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu (born 8 August 1994) is an Indian weightlifter. She won the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in Women’s 49 kg category. Mirabai Chanu has won the World Championships and multiple medals at the Commonwealth Games. She was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India for her contributions to the sport. She was awarded the sporting honour Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna by the Government of India in 2018. The 27-year-old lifted a total of 201kg to win the gold medal at the ongoing CWG 2022.
Mirabai Chanu Bio/Wiki
|Born as||Saikhom Chanu Mirabai|
|Date of Birth||8th August 1994|
|Place of Birth||Nongpok Kakching, near Imphal, Manipur|
|Height||4 feet 11 inches|
Early Life and Family
Chanu Mirabai was born on 8th August 1994 near Imphal. Her family supported her dream of being a weightlifter since she was 12. The family identified her strength when she was able to lift the logs of wood her brother found difficult to pick and walk easily back home. She was known as the heavyweight lifter in the family.
|Parents||Father: Saikhom Kriti Meitei (an employee at the Public Works Department)|
Mother: Saikohm Ongbi Tombi Leima (Shopkeeper)
|Siblings||Brother– Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei|
Sister(s)– Saikom Rangita, Saikhom Shaya
Note: She has 5 siblings.
- Mirabai Chanu debuted on the international stage at the age of 20 when she won a silver medal in the 48kg division at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
- In 2017, Mirabai won gold at the World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, California. She was the first Indian weightlifter to do so in two decades.
- Chanu had a lower back issue in 2018, which prevented her from competing in any of the tournaments throughout the year. In 2019, she made an incredible return at the World Championships in Thailand. She made the event memorable by breaking the 200kg barrier for the first time in her career, despite finishing fourth.
- Mirabai Chanu set a new world record in the women’s 49kg clean and jerk with a lift of 119kgs at the Asian weightlifting championships in Tashkent in April. Due to a lackluster performance in the snatch, Chanu had to settle for a bronze medal in the Asian championships. Manipur’s Chief Minister, N. Biren Singh, praised Chanu and presented her with a gift of 2 million rupees.
- In 2018, she received the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, India’s highest civilian sporting honour. Chanu was awarded the Padma Shri by the Indian government in 2018.
- Mirabai Chanu, the only Indian weightlifter competing in the Tokyo Olympics 2020, won a silver medal.
Chanu Mirabai: List of Awards and honours
Chanu has been honoured with:
i) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, highest sporting honour of India (2018)
ii) Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India (2018)
She has also been given INR 1 crore from the Government of Manipur after she won the silver medal at the Olympics 2020.She has also been given the appointment as Additional Superintendent of Police (Sports) in the Manipur State Police.
She has been awarded INR 20 lakh from the Govt of Manipur and INR 2 crore from Indian Railways.
All the information are taken from internet. We don’t clame any Authenticity of the information. If you think any information is wrong or if you have any problem with the information. Do write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org.